Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Breakfast in Brooklyn

So, after months of thinking about it, I've decided to take the leap and move to New York!  I'll still be in Boston until the end of April, but last weekend, I made a quick trip to the City in order to look for an apartment.  The search was less painful than I anticipated, and I am so thankful to have found a cute place in Astoria.  To celebrate before I had to catch the train back to Boston on Sunday, G and I headed out for breakfast in her Brooklyn neighborhood, to a new Italian cafe and gelateria, called L'Albero dei GelatiWe arrived pretty early for a Sunday (around 9 am), which was nice because we had the place practically to ourselves, and we could see the employees preparing the pastries for the day ahead.























We perused the food menu over cappuccinos made with almond milk (if you haven't tried this, do it!  It's gives the coffee a gloriously smooth, nutty flavor) and admired the rustic, chic interior.  We could almost imagine that we were really in Italy.


Deciding on the food was tough, but G went for the yogurt with fresh fruit.
While I chose the Frittata with Mushroom and Smoked Gouda, which was served with focaccia, brie, fruit and greens.

L'Albero dei Gelati prides itself on using the freshest natural ingredients, sourced from local small artisan producers and farmers who practice sustainable agriculture.  While I greatly respect this mission from an ethical point of view, it also made a difference in the taste of the food, as everything had a deliciously fresh flavor.  This is food that you can feel good about eating and immensely enjoy at the same time.






















On the way out, I scoped out the pastry counter and the meats and cheeses, but although everything looked absolutely divine, I was stuffed.























I will definitely go back, though, after I make my move.  The promise of warm fresh pastries, oodles of cheese, and creamy gelato will have to hold me over until then.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment