Wednesday, July 30, 2014

West Elm Ice Cream Social

I've told you before about my love of West Elm.  And I'm human so I'm a big fan of ice cream.  So when I heard that, in honor of National Ice Cream Month, West Elm locations nationwide were having an ice cream social event two Saturdays ago, I couldn't resist stopping in.  I popped by their Chelsea location on West 18th Street and a store associate presented me with a coupon for a free ice cream as well as 15% off a West Elm purchase.   
I then made a beeline for the ice cream truck that was parked outside.
I'm such a little kid sometimes.  For some reason, ice cream trucks make me ridiculously happy and I can't help but smile when I see one.  This particular truck was from Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream, a company that is based out of Brooklyn and is dedicated to using fresh and natural ingredients that are sourced from small producers.  One of the cool things about the West Elm Ice Cream Social (other than the obvious free ice cream + shopping equation) was that each West Elm location had partnered with a local artisan ice cream producer instead of just handing out some Ben & Jerry's.

Van Leeuwan offered some really unique flavors like palm sugar, ginger, and earl grey tea.  But I'm a sucker when it comes to anything involving chocolate and hazelnut, so I went for a scoop of the gianduja, rounded out with a scoop of the pistachio.

I was a bit disappointed in the pistachio because I didn't get a strong flavor from it, but the gianduja was just what I had been hoping for.  Both flavors were also wonderfully creamy but still managed to feel light at the same time, and there was none of the heavy feeling that you sometimes get after consuming certain other kinds of ice cream.
I took my cone inside and happily noshed while admiring the furniture and housewares.


As you can see from my face, it took some immense willpower and effort to stop slurping the ice cream long enough to snap some pics.

I was particularly smitten with the lantern lighting options....,



this bedroom vignette....,

and these bottles, vases, and votive holders that reminded me of the sea.


I've been desperately in need of a new jewelry chest though, so I used my 15% coupon and came home with this beauty.

Not only do I love the aesthetic of West Elm stores and products, but I also admire and appreciate the fact that they collaborate with artisans making handcrafted products, both locally and around the world.   Keep these collaborations coming, West Elm, and please consider making the ice cream truck a permanent fixture.  I'm happy to ogle your interiors any time, but I'm especially ready and willing when you throw sweet treats into the mix.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment