Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Hudson Highlights, Day 1

June has been a busy month of travel for me, taking me upstate for two weekend weddings and then to central PA to visit family.  The first of the wedding trips was to the town of Hudson in the Catskills.  

Just a two-hour trip from NYC by train, it might as well have been a world away.  Upon getting off the train, I was greeted by the wonderful smell of fresh air and honeysuckle, and the loudest noise that I could hear was birdsong, not people or cars.  Feeling more relaxed already, I made my leisurely way to the Hudson City Bed & Breakfast, which was to be my home for the weekend.  I checked in and was shown to my room, which was full of antique furniture and charm.


I did a bit of unpacking and then went out to the front porch for a chance to chat with Barry, the innkeeper, and admire the leafy view.

After getting a few recommendations from Barry, I headed into town to explore.  Having been told that Warren Street was Hudson's main hub, I made my way there, enjoying the quaint feel of the place.








Warren Street is chock full of antique stores and galleries, most of which had closed for the evening by the time that I arrived.  I did duck into The Spotty Dog Books & Ale, a fun bookstore/pub combo, and then, since it was time for dinner, I went to Baba Louie's.  I had come across some good reviews for the wood-fired pizza place while searching for things to do in Hudson earlier in the week and decided to give it a go.
The interior was roomy and the atmosphere was very friendly.  It seemed like a great sort of place to gather with a big group of friends and family.
But let's get to the important part:  the pizza.  There are several specialty pizza options on the menu, all of which boast delicious-sounding combinations, as well as a seemingly endless list of toppings so that you can customize your own if you wish.  After much intense deliberation, I went for the Dolce Vita:  tomato sauce, wilted spinach, fresh mozarella, figs, gorgonzola, prosciutto and parmesan, topped with rosemary infused olive oil.


Perhaps it was due to the romantic mood of the wedding weekend, but I was ready to run off with this pizza.  It was gorgeous, satisfying, and best of all,  I had it all to myself.
    
After showing an utter lack of restraint with the pizza, I strolled through the town's side streets, many of which reminded me of Stars Hollow.


























I eventually made my way back to the B&B and called it a relatively early night, knowing that there were more explorations, good food, and wedding festivities in store for the next day.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment