Tuesday, November 25, 2014

L.A. Burdick

Okay, I'll admit it.  I'm a coffee addict.  When I first wake up, I need two cups to start my day, and if I haven't gotten them, don't even think about trying to start a conversation with me.  However, while coffee is a morning necessity, there are some afternoons, especially at this chilly time of year, when I want something warm to drink that's a little sweeter, a little more fun, and a little nostalgic, all at the same time. And that's when I turn to hot chocolate. 

When I lived in Boston, GK and I used to frequent L.A. Burdick for our hot chocolate fixes, and I was delighted to discover that they have a New York location as well, on 20th Street.  On Saturday, I needed a pick-me-up while out shopping, so I stopped in to warm up and rejuvenate with a cuppa.  Like the Boston locations, this spot is warmly lit and cozy, but its small size means that you might have to wait to nab a table.  But that's okay.  Take that time to browse the lovely looking chocolates and work up an appetite.




























As soon as a table freed up, I sat down with a mug of dark hot chocolate and a piece of Hazelnut Orange Cake.























Sometimes, you just deserve to treat yourself.
 The cake was sadly nothing to write home about.  But the hot chocolate was sinfully delicious, as usual.
Seriously, this is the best hot cocoa that I've ever had.  Rich, smooth, and decadent, it tastes like the best candy bar in the world has melted into your cup.
I always go for the Burdick Blend dark hot chocolate, but GK is a big fan of the Burdick Blend white chocolate, and they also have a house milk chocolate,  as well as many single source options as well.
Word to the wise:  start with a small, even though it may look tiny.  I usually go big or go home with chocolate, but GK and I once ordered large mugs and I don't think either one of us slept for a week due to the resulting sugar high.
























On the other hand,  losing a week's worth of sleep may just be worth it if it's caused by overdosing on ridiculously good hot chocolate. 
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment