Monday, November 10, 2014

Fries of New York and a Secret Garden

On Saturday, I went to what was probably the most unique exhibit I've ever seen.  There were no Rembrandts and no Monets.  Not even any Picassos.  No, this was a show that paid homage to a different sort of icon, a show that appealed to perhaps a different kind of connoisseur.  This was an exhibit showcasing the Fries of New York.

In a small gallery space in Soho, Sir Kensington's, an all-natural producer of ketchup and other condiments, had collected 100 single French Fries from restaurants all over New York for a two-day pop up exhibition.  The fries were displayed under glass like specimens in a natural history museum, allowing viewers to admire their different sizes and shapes.


























Each fry came with a label stating the restaurant from which it came, the type of potatoes involved as well as details of the making process, and the name of the chef who had dreamt it up.




Potato specimens and oft-called upon spices lined the wall, as did a timeline detailing the history of the French Fry.





























The humor inherent in the act of amassing such a collection for an exhibit, along with the pleas to not eat the collection, was not lost on anyone and many of the visitors could be heard chuckling at the irreverent brilliance of it all.  This was definitely not your typical, stuffy gallery exhibit.
After scrutinizing all of the fine specimens, I realized that I truly had my work cut out for me, since I had not yet tried any of the fries that were highlighted by the show.  With thoughts of new restaurants to visit and delicious fries in my head, I started to walk back to the train.  I was pleasantly distracted however, when, much to my surprise and delight, I stumbled across Elizabeth Street Garden, a tranquil green space full of incredible statuary.  I couldn't resist a walk-through.




















































A secret garden in the heart of the city (okay, perhaps not so secret, but it was news to me).  What a great spot it would be to retreat with a cup of coffee and a good book.
Don't his eyes look like they have secrets to tell?









After soaking up my fill of the peaceful atmosphere of the place, I went off in search of a certain salty snack.  After all, looking at French fries is all well and good, but I think we can all agree that nothing compares to eating them. 
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment