Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Kitchenette

I met up with D again this weekend and we went in search of brunch in the neighborhood of Morningside Heights.  One of his friends has recommended a place called Kitchenette, so we decided to give it a whirl.  I knew that we had made a good decision upon walking in the door and being greeted by the sight of a pastry case and cake stands, full of delicious-looking sweets.

























Before I could stand and salivate for too long, we were taken to our table.  The interior is very narrow and you definitely rub elbows with your neighbor, but everyone was friendly and in a good mood, so no one really seemed to mind the cramped space.
The pink walls gave the place a cheerful vibe, as did the bright polka dots that covered the tables, which were apparently made from old doors.  We added to the happiness by ordering a round of cocktails, which arrived in mason jars.
























D went for a Bloody Mary, while I couldn't resist the Strawberry Sangria.
I was not disappointed.  I feel like I've been waiting all summer to find a sangria like this:  fruity, sweet, and goes down like juice.

The food menu had a lot of fairly simple, comfort food options.  D opted for the Grilled Tomato and Artichoke Omelet with basil pesto, potatoes, and a biscuit.  Many of the egg dishes on the menu came with biscuits, which looked fluffy and divine.  Biscuits just scream "comfort food," don't they?























As for me, I was thrilled to see that there were dishes catered to those of us indecisive gits who can never make the agonizing choice between sweet or savory for breakfast.  I ordered the Lumberjack which gave me the best of both worlds.
 Two eggs with two ginormous orange almond pancakes and turkey sausage.
I didn't love the turkey sausage (it seemed a little dry) but I at least appreciated that it was on offer, as I prefer turkey to pork.  On the other hand, the pancakes were awesome.  Dense, not overly sweet, and made interesting in both flavor and texture by the addition of orange and almond.  If you get this dish, order your eggs over easy and then use the pancakes to sop up the soft yolk.  It's a good combination, I promise.

Kitchenette is a great spot for a low-key brunch with a homey and happy vibe.  In addition to the uptown location, they also have one downtown in Tribeca.  They serve breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner and they have some amazing-sounding milkshakes on the menu as well.  I'd recommend making a reservation (you can do so here), especially since the uptown location is tiny.  Having to stand and wait for a table and being forced to look at the pastry counter when you're already hungry might be rather dangerous.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment