Wednesday, April 29, 2015

La Maison du Croque Monsieur

My job requires me to deal with a lot of people.  While I enjoy this most of the time, there are also those days when I want to steal away during my lunch break, burrow down in a cozy nook, and either get lost in a book or just find a bit of peace and quiet so that I can re-center my thoughts.  On those days, I often head to La Maison du Croque Monsieur.  This lovely little cafe, which features a menu full of savory and sweet variations of the classic grilled sandwich, makes you feel as if you've stepped back in time and across the ocean, to early 20th-century Paris.
































After ogling the pastries at the counter, I usually place my order and then go upstairs to claim a seat while my sandwich is being made.






























The building is full of old European character and it was once owned by Anais Nin, a Parisian writer known for her erotica.  Nin housed a printing press here and along with her husband and her lover, produced a number of beautiful books within these walls. 

Nin's legacy lives on, not only in the intellectual feel and literary decor of the place, but also in the menu, as most of the sandwiches on offer are named after her lovers.
My personal favorite, of the options that I've tried so far, is actually named after the lady herself:  the Croque Madame Anais.
Once your order is ready, your sandwich is handed to you in a paper bag.  But this is no ordinary fast food. 

With Jambon de Paris, Bechamel, Gruyere and a poached egg, the Madame Anais is comfort food at its best.  
And it's clearly not your momma's grilled cheese. 

Rich, tangy, and oh so satisfying.  It almost makes up for the fact that I can't actually grab lunch in Paris on any given day. 

Almost.  

Thank goodness they serve wine too.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment