Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Whiskey, Carrots, and a Few Greek Dudes

I'm lucky to be able to say that I work with a bunch of fun 20-somethings who are always up for grabbing a drink when the clock strikes 5.  Last Friday, we hit up a spot in Somerville called Daddy Jones and ushered in the weekend in style.  I had never been before, but a few of my coworkers raved about the place and I'm happy to report that they definitely knew what they were talking about.  I think that it's pretty rare to find a place with great atmosphere and fabulous food and drinks, but Daddy Jones really delivered.  The dim, romantical lighting got us all in the mood.....for cocktails, and a bunch of us started off with their version of a whiskey sour, made with bourbon and carrot marmalade.














































I know what you're thinking.  Carrots?  In a cocktail?  But I promise you, the marmalade gave the drink just the right amount of zesty sweetness, and it disguised any hint of the harshness of the bourbon and made for one smooth drink.  Very dangerous indeed.  And perfect for a Friday night.  Some of the drinks come in mason jars while others come in really interesting, retro glasses that look like they were pulled straight out of your grandmother's kitchen, which adds to the charm.
All of the food on offer has a Greek flair, and we began by sharing an order of roasted red pepper dip and pita and sweet potato fries smothered in honey and feta.  I am still dreaming about those sweet potato fries......hot and savory and sweet, all in one amazing app.  And look at the fun plates that they give you for them!











































































I could have happily kept the sweet potato fries coming, but my voice of reason told me that I should perhaps strive for a more balanced dinner than whiskey sours and fries and order an entree.  Everything sounded so good though, so S and I decided to order the Chicken Souvlaki Wrap and the Burger and then split them.  I'm so fortunate to have a work wife who will share food with me.























The tzatziki in the wrap was delicious and it came with a Greek salad that was just as good.  Also, the wrap had fries INSIDE of it.  Can you ask for a higher level of perfection? As it turns out, yes, you can.  And it comes in the form of this burger:

























Smothered in gooey cheese and garlic aoili and cooked to perfection.  I believe that S and I contemplated ordering a second one (or maybe that was just me), but in the end we refrained.

I did not refrain, however, from ordering another drink.  Wanting a more dessert-y option this time, I went for Daddy Jones' version of a White Russian, which they call the Greek Dude.  I may have ordered a few of these before the night was out.  I may also have taken a ridiculous amount of pleasure and amusement in asking our waiter to bring me more Greek Dudes.

The Greek Dude was less creamy and more coffeeish than other white Russians that I've had, which made it seem lighter but just as warming as its usual incarnation.  That coffee ice cube was a nice touch as well.

























More drinks were poured, we caught up and laughed, and it started to feel like the weekend had truly begun.







On a final note, if you're not yet convinced that Daddy Jones is a cool place, then I also have to tell you this: they were playing Quantum Leap on the tv throughout the night.
My tipsy self was thrilled and transported back to my childhood.  If there's a night of the week when they play old MacGyver episodes, then we're really in business.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment